Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fred Thompson-The Best, The Only: Part II


I was determined to get that first part "to press" yesterday morning in order to give myself a bit of a prod to keep on it, but it was meant to be introductory in nature anyhow. Still, haste makes waste-it's true-and in my rush I omitted a couple of things I consider worth clearing up before I proceed, but I don't want to go back and edit Part I and risk confusing anyone. In fairness to myself, I was talking with a friend while I was working on it, but my own haste is the culprit. So, before I get to the clarification/expansion part, I'll say that the original plan was for this to be a three-part series. I still hope to manage that, but we'll see; most of all, I don't wish to post a lengthy thesis all at once in this hurry-up world of today. On that note, to business...

That photo of Charlie Daniels and Fred Thompson...it was taken at the Freedom Concert in Atlanta this past Tuesday, and is featured on Fred's official not-quite-official campaign site, as is the above photo of Fred and Larry the Cable Guy from the same event.

And now to the literary meat of the introductory post (in bold), with amendments:

They're already going after Fred, in fact-desperately, relentlessly-throwing whatever mudpies their infantile strategists can dream up and hoping something, anything, sticks. Expect more of the same from here on to the primaries, but the point is that if they had anything truly substantive to dish out about Fred: 1) He wouldn't be in the mix at all; and 2) They would save it for the general.

Why do I say so? I'll refer back to this-which is updated often, incidentally. So, one might say, most of those mudpies are coming from MSM leftists, right? Yeah, but judging by the flavor of their stories, who's actually being targeted? Not a few of those hit-pieces concern the abortion question, and this comment to Part I illustrates the intent of the leftists. (And the author is not a flamer; his blog indicates a conservative who doesn't have a horse in this race-yet.) Sure, they're throwing bones to their pet kooks as well, but most of this MSM campaign is clearly intended to sow doubt among conservative voters. (Evidently they're not satisfied with the Romney [and/or Giuliani and/or Paul] supporters' progress on that front.)

Why is that? To me it seems quite clear...they are rightly fearful that Fred will have a walk to the nomination should he actually get into the race, and they're going to try anything and everything they can think of to undermine his considerable grassroots conservative support, in the hope that he'll back out. He's not the GOP nominee the leftists want-he's not beatable enough against their two darlings (we can forget about Edwards and the other ankle-biters, IMHO). Of the four viable candidates, I figure they'd most prefer McCain (whose emotional stability is considered by many to be questionable)-although I'm betting they'd love the non-viable and rather kooky Paul even more-followed by Giuliani, then Romney, then Fred. Yes, Fred is the last GOP candidate they want to see win the nomination. Again, if they had any real dirt on him (with which they could derail his campaign in the general), wouldn't it stand to reason that they'd sit back, shut up, and let it ride? Or even promote his candidacy via their usual subterfuge-i.e. going for the others' throats and leaving Fred be...I'm betting they're holding back plenty on the others.

So no-they have nothing substantial on Fred. So they try to portray him as sharing Giuliani's most glaring weakness among conservatives-not pro-life (enough)-and contrast his marital/family history with that of Romney, and even try to paint Fred's wife as some gold-digger/tramp with an eye toward "values" conservatives. And McCain? Let's face it here...McCain (McLame, in the Mark Levin lexicon) is dead in the water, and the MSM knows it; it's just a matter of when he folds-and who he endorses. Fred is likely the one, as the two of them are friendly, and he hasn't been throwing spitballs at McCain as Romney and Giuliani have. I have a feeling that come the day the first real polling begins, it'll be a contest between Fred and Romney. And Fred wins.

I will conclude Part II with Mark Levin's interview of Fred on Friday (7-13), and in Part III I'll get into (among other things) a bit of comparative analysis of Fred's oratory versus that of Romney and Giuliani.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Astute observations, indeed. The Libs are nothing, if not obvious, in that their fear is manifested in the target of their attacks. Fred is the Real Deal and they know it. The Three Stooges, Clinton, Obama and Edwards, cannot withstand the contrast that Fred will portray. He is John Wayne to their Barney Fifes. Frankly I believe that Larry the Cable Guy would be strong candidate compared to the Stooges. His issue of the need for more than one sheet of toilet tissue, is a winner! Let's face it, Hillary could never pull off that sleeveless look! I will be tuning in for Part III, as we begin down the road to victory in '08.

ProudGulfWarVet65 said...

Thanks, Sledge! Fred will well and truly hammer the opposition in BOTH phases. It's not without reason that he dismisses the media pukes with a head-shake and a laugh. Great analogies, too, if a bit unfair to the Stooges and Barney. Let the leftists make their snide references to 'trophy wives' if they like; we'll see to it that Fred has the last laugh. Unlike a certain former President, he certainly isn't a trophy husband. And, yep, Fred will get er done!

Anonymous said...

I'm counting on Fred to be smarter than conventional wisdom. I hope the GOP primary voters are as well, but not overly confident of it. It doesn't change my support; Fredhead to the end!